Skip to main content

Get your Journals Out


"Get your journals out" is something that I say multiple times a day, as each class starts with a written journal component that gives us our vocabulary for the day as well as journals prompts for practice free writing. I started the year with 3 of my 6 classes doing journals in Google Classroom and vocab directly into Quizlet for easy quiz review. I am happy to say that 2 more classes have put their spirals away for the last time (or until wifi goes out LOL!).  Dance 2 and Ballet 1-3 got loaded into accounts for both apps and started our new adventure. By the end of the week, engagement in the activity was already increased and I think they realized that this is a pretty cool thing.

Two upper level classes that did Quizlet for the 1st 6 weeks, started our new vocabulary a little before the new 6 weeks started. As we study Production Vocabulary for this unit, many of these students have been in productions before, so....instead of me giving them the vocab words, their task was to develop the vocab list as a class.

Jazz 4 used Lucidchart for a real-time collaborative mind mapping activity. I wish I could say it all went well, however we spent so much time getting everyone logged into the program and the class chart, that we saved the actual activity for day two so that we still had time to work on choreography for our upcoming show. For some reason, the app/program was not playing nice that day and Lucidchart only has a 7-day free trial so I was worried about it working the following day.



So the following day it was time for my Ballet 4 to try the same activity and I made the decision that many teacher's go to: Plan B. I did not want to have the potential to waste the same time in class, so we tried our activity on awwapp.com where the real-time connection was immediate. So much smoother. Although the product is a little less professional looking, we all had fun adding our thoughts to this crazy mind map. 







Day 2 with Jazz 4, I was determined to try Lucidchart before the trial ran out. We were all logged in and ready to go and had the same amount fun, finding ideas and connecting them together. What a neat way to try 2 different tools and be able to see the result for the same activity.
Jazz 4 also tried a few more workout apps for our warm up to gain strength and flexibility for our Fit & Flexible Minds & Bodies PIE Grant. We even got to use our new yoga mats!

What's happening with DAMCOM (it's our acronym for Dance and Media Communication) this week?

We began the week studying different types of light in photography. Since our iPads do not have flash and have limits with low light photos, so we were so excited to get use our new still camera as well as our stage lights from the Texas Cultural Trust Digital Literacy grant. Unfortunately, a few of our lights came broken or only flashed on before not working again. However we got some amazing pictures both inside and outside with different lighting situations.













Then we were able to choose our favorite and make notes alongside the photo on why they chose that photo on an app called on Mindmash.

In the curriculum there was a a lesson that had us writing adverbs on post-its. Of course, my mind said, no to post-its and yes to an app. However, when app surfing, the first app to appear was actually created by Post-It's and I decided to check it out. It actually had a neat feature of taking a post-it brainstorm session and making it digital where it can take it with you. You can also use the app to create your own post-its from pictures you take of items or text. I thought it was such a neat useful tool for their future that I decided to use it for that part of the activity. We all had big laughs when I handed them paper post-its and pencils and they acted like they
didn't know what to do with them. But they were on board when they saw the neat way the app could be used for any class.
We ended the week creating a dance based on shapes/symbols and adverbs and learning about the Rule of Thirds in composition/photography. We learned how to put the grid on the camera of our iPads to get us ready to explore this concept while photographing our Adverb Shape Garden dance next week.

I am happy to say I have survived the 1st 6 weeks figuring out my new NextGen dance life. I hope you can see that I am and will continue to keep this blog honest. Sometimes the network is down, sometimes a lesson or app you plan to use does not go as planned, sometimes equipment breaks for good. What matters is how you react, deal, or readjust. Your grade isn't always the product, it is the journey along the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Move to the Beat

So I am very excited to share this next post! It is a mini-issue focused on two music activities with two of my favorite people: my daughter and my former student-turned-student-teacher Veronica Boccardo! Loopimal Every year my daughter participates in the annual STEAM Fair at Pleasant Hill Elementary in Leander ISD. We engage in a discussion to find a topic that she is interested in researching and then we look for the way make sure we can encompass 1 or more of the STEAM elements in her process and product. As a teacher that strives for creativity and thrives on adding technology, I always help expose her to options of integrating technology into her lesson. Just like our students, they may not always know what is out there or how to use it, but as facilitators of learning we can help lead them both to it and through it. In the past I have exposed her to Thinglink and Shadow Puppet . Both of which were so user friendly, my little smarty-pants was able to complete her project af

5,6,7,8 New year and feeling great!

Welcome back blog readers! 2017 for Cedar Ridge HS dance has gotten off to a great start and I am already excited by the possibilities to come! It's hard to believe the 1st 4 weeks have already flown by and yet as I write this blog I can't believe everything we have already done. Let's check it out! WEEK 1 Sometimes when teachers are asked how they integrate technology into the classroom, they assume that the technology must enhance the student experience. But that couldn't be further from the truth. Technology infusion can also support the teacher. You deserve the streamlining, workload lessening, ease-of-process-magic that technology can give to you too! This year we eased our department to an eye-catching 2 sided syllabus using the program called Canva . We inserted a QR code that lead to our department website , which also displayed our older more extensive syllabus for parents to read. Parents were required to sign a syllabus page that could be signed either

Balletomane

bal·let·o·mane baˈledəˌmān noun:  balletomane ; plural noun:  balletomanes;  a ballet enthusiast So I definitely consider myself a balletomane since a very young age! However, many of my fellow public school teachers would agree that this dance form can often be one of the hardest ones to convince the students of it's importance and the ability to enjoy it.  I was doing ballet with 2 very different classes this last grading period: 1. Academy Ballet: students who actually CHOOSE to take ballet all year long and many repeat it each year 2. Dance 2-4: students that cover multiple genres of dance with ballet probably being their least favorite no matter how enthusiastic or creative I get So, never making anything easy on myself, I decided to try 2 new different projects that were differentiated for the 2 types of classes. One was much more of a success than the other, but that is what I call life-long learning! Every year in December, I am obligated by the ballet Gods