Skip to main content

5,6,7,8 New year and feeling great!

Welcome back blog readers! 2017 for Cedar Ridge HS dance has gotten off to a great start and I am already excited by the possibilities to come!

It's hard to believe the 1st 4 weeks have already flown by and yet as I write this blog I can't believe everything we have already done. Let's check it out!

WEEK 1
Sometimes when teachers are asked how they integrate technology into the classroom, they assume that the technology must enhance the student experience. But that couldn't be further from the truth. Technology infusion can also support the teacher. You deserve the streamlining, workload lessening, ease-of-process-magic that technology can give to you too!

This year we eased our department to an eye-catching 2 sided syllabus using the program called Canva. We inserted a QR code that lead to our department website, which also displayed our older more extensive syllabus for parents to read. Parents were required to sign a syllabus page that could be signed either digitally (Google Forms) or by paper. Students were required to complete an online student information form that we can use to easily sort, copy, and organize student and parent emails and other data. And there are various icebreaker apps that can be found in the app store to use on those very 1st days. (Icebreaker, Would You Rather, etc). Finally, we got all students loaded into the correct Google Classrooms so that lessons could begin during week 2.

WEEK 2
As we give students a few more days to purchase/locate their required dance clothes, we begin our 1st unit with a history lesson according to their unit of study. Jazz history for all Dance 1-4 and Jazz 1-4 and Ballet history for Ballet 1-4. Just because I may by certifiably crazy love innovative teaching, I had different activities happening in each class.

Jazz 1: As a level 1 course, this class took on a more traditional approach with a 21st century update of course. I led the students through an interactive Prezi presentation while students took notes on a Google Doc provided to the students through Google Classroom. If you have never tried making a Google Doc template that you can have GC make a copy for each student, this is a must do!

Dance 2-4: As an upper level course, we are still required to cover history, which by definition does not change. However, how we present it can be! So I turned my classroom into a completely student-driven learning environment. Students were put into groups of 3. 1 iPad accessed and played the Prezi presentation, 1 iPad accessed the app Timeline, and 1 iPad collected images from Google for the app activity. The activity consisted of using the information of the Prezi and created an informational timeline on the app which they turned in on GC. It was the 1st time I used this app, and I absolutely LOVED the results! I sat back like a proud teacher/mom and watched the magic happen. Check it out:


Jazz 4: Jazz 4 completed the same activity as Dance 2-4 but in pairs. In this class, auditioned students are 9th-12th grade. That means some students have revisited history for 3 years and some are seeing it for the 1st time. I paired Freshman with Seniors and watched both friendships and learning bloom!

Ballet 1-4: This class is both multi-level AND multi-grade. So to wrap up the day, I took in a leap of faith and went with 3 different lesson activities happening at the same time. Section 1, my mid-level students that have danced with me a few years completed the same activity as Jazz did above but used the website Bubbl.us. Section 2, my upper level Seniors used the Prezi to create a fun Kahoot for the class to test their knowledge on the following day. And for Section 3, I sat down with my new Freshman and led them through the presentation in the same manner as Jazz 1, with the added benefit as getting to know them! #multitasking #mystudentsareawesome
Bubbl.us example

Dance Educators: In this class we used Padlet on Chromebooks as a brainstorming chalkboard. Working in groups, students completed entries in various columns on topics to discuss in class. I used a Google extension as a timer, my playlists for music, and let the students collaborate away!

Nobility Dance Team: Our new dance team created social media accounts as additional ways of communicating to the team as well as promoting events. They also used Drive to turn in required materials. The director (Taryn Gregory)  made some cute flyers on Canva and I made a member/family only (sign-in required) folder for our website so that families can access director updates and other team-only materials at any time. We also used workout apps to help the team condition while we rotated through some individual conferences.

My department and I took our class rosters and assigned my iPads devices to as many classes as possible this year. Last year we also had access to Chromebooks and my entire department went paperless. Without the Chromebooks this year, my co-worker (Stevie Baldwin-Sutton) is bravely preparing some neglected Samsung Galaxy's for hopes that all classes can be paperless again very soon. And all of us have included variations of technology use in our T-TESS goals. So proud!

From home, I used Smore to send all of the students and parents a welcome email and Newsletter shock full of clickable links to tons of information. Then I got all of my class playlists ready on my iPod Touch for easy access next week!

WEEK 3
Along with all of the exciting activities last week, all classes began completing weekly journal entries as well as daily vocabulary via Google Classroom, Slides, and Sheets. I began full GC classroom integration last year and haven't looked back. Students can find all of their materials, turn-in assignments, find incomplete work from absences, all with the touch of a button.

Speaking of "a touch of a button,'' our department finally purchased enough adapters to correctly connect Bluetooth capabilities to our large room sound systems instead of just our portable block rockers. It has been so amazing to use!

Students in Jazz 4 worked in different pairs (paired up using Name Selector) each day to add a few assigned vocab words to a Padlet to create a picture/video vocab wall.
Students in Ballet explored vocab in 2 ways. We are having fun playing a dice rolling game on the Mimio board. A few students each day take turns rolling the dice image which decides their fate: demonstrate, spell or translate the ballet word I give them. It helps the students do a pre-assessment of their ballet knowledge or memory from previous years while having a little fun. Then we follow up with placing all of the day's words in their individual vocabulary sheet. 
WEEK 4
Classes are now so confident with class routines, building relationships, and sweating up a storm. Journals are continuing in full swing!

Dance Educators have had multiple assignments in CG that require them to watch videos and complete attached notes. It was so easy to share all of the materials with a student that was going to be absent for a week. We also created a board on Padlet that looks almost identical to a Pinterest board that we are beginning to load materials to of wish list items to purchase for class.
This week I have also used class timers for group work to keep kids on task. It helps them keep track of what time they have left while I can focus on enjoying their process! While they work I can load their practice music and videos in GC.

So as you can see, 2017 is off to an amazing start! Next week technology will support us through various testing and evaluation techniques. Looking forward to a great year and sharing all about it!

Comments

  1. Karen! As a former dancer (and current RRISD teacher) I adore reading about your seamless integration of technology with the arts - everytime I read your blog posts, you blow my mind!

    Quick question: What is the advantage of making a Google doc TEMPLATE vs. making a Google doc and having GCR make a copy for each student?

    I appreciate your insight and expertise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words!!
      Actually your question kind of answers itself! When you make a document and place it in GC and select "make a copy for each student," GC makes a [TEMPLATE] for you. If you look in your classroom folders you will see it. So I do not actually make it, it is all part of the process. I hope that makes sense! Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Move to the Beat

So I am very excited to share this next post! It is a mini-issue focused on two music activities with two of my favorite people: my daughter and my former student-turned-student-teacher Veronica Boccardo! Loopimal Every year my daughter participates in the annual STEAM Fair at Pleasant Hill Elementary in Leander ISD. We engage in a discussion to find a topic that she is interested in researching and then we look for the way make sure we can encompass 1 or more of the STEAM elements in her process and product. As a teacher that strives for creativity and thrives on adding technology, I always help expose her to options of integrating technology into her lesson. Just like our students, they may not always know what is out there or how to use it, but as facilitators of learning we can help lead them both to it and through it. In the past I have exposed her to Thinglink and Shadow Puppet . Both of which were so user friendly, my little smarty-pants was able to complete her project af

Balletomane

bal·let·o·mane baˈledəˌmān noun:  balletomane ; plural noun:  balletomanes;  a ballet enthusiast So I definitely consider myself a balletomane since a very young age! However, many of my fellow public school teachers would agree that this dance form can often be one of the hardest ones to convince the students of it's importance and the ability to enjoy it.  I was doing ballet with 2 very different classes this last grading period: 1. Academy Ballet: students who actually CHOOSE to take ballet all year long and many repeat it each year 2. Dance 2-4: students that cover multiple genres of dance with ballet probably being their least favorite no matter how enthusiastic or creative I get So, never making anything easy on myself, I decided to try 2 new different projects that were differentiated for the 2 types of classes. One was much more of a success than the other, but that is what I call life-long learning! Every year in December, I am obligated by the ballet Gods